Friday, October 15, 2010

Towards a Lifestyle Of Learning - LOL

We have mostly had an eclectic, living book approach to our home education but even that, I've felt, has been dictated by others. God-given passions and talents have to be ignored in order to meet all the requirements of those who don't even know my kids. From what I understand so far, it is a journey, starting with letting go of the traditional education mindset. It is not an unschooling approach nor is it about curriculum. "No pre-packaged curriculum could work these qualities (as explained in the LOL) into our children. No pre-determined (by the "experts") scope-and-sequence could equip them with the ability to learn or give them life purpose." (from Develop a Vision for Your Family, Marilyn Howshall, part of the Wisdom's Way of Learning series).


Something that stood out from reading, Develop Vision for Your Family, "I resolved to help my children discover who they were; their God-given inborn abilities, talents, giftings, and bents. I would encourage them in all things no matter how insignificant, childish, or elementary they seemed to me".

This is just the beginning of setting goals and acquiring a new vision (as led by the Holy Spirit) for home education. This will require much from the homeschool mom, but in a different way.

I hope to be able to share some of our journey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment